Not only because of the black color are these birds strongly associated with death. First of all, you can see them in places where people are dying. For example, they are present on the battle fields or during disasters. Ravens and crows, follow the marching soldiers and feed on the bodies of the fallen. Therefore, in European cultures they are considered to be impure. The Swedes in their folk traditions perceive ravens as the spirits of dead people. Christians also believe that the raven is a symbol of Satan, black magic and death. Because of this dark symbolism the emergence of a raven in a dream represents danger, death, disease and changes for worse in life. This bird may also reflect the dark aspects of the psyche: repressed urges, aggression, deviations, and fears.
Fortunately the raven appears in legends also in a different context. For example, it is a symbol of wisdom, perception, and a messenger of higher powers. In Germanic mythology raven is an attribute of Odin, the highest of the Norse gods of the Aesir dynasty. Therefore, in a positive dream the speaking raven sometimes even gives you tips for your life, warns against bad people and rashness. Do not forget about the longevity of this species, which in a positive sense may mean good health.
Detailed meaning of the dream:
- A flock of ravens is often equivalent to bad luck. If the dreamer is able to chase them away, then it means that in real life he/she can cope with any difficult task or defend against an enemy attack.
- A flock of ravens also warns against a catastrophe, accident, or natural disaster.
- If in the dream a raven is flying over your head, then it is a warning of the danger.
- The cawing of the bird announces bad news.
- For a woman the raven is a warning against an unfaithful partner. Girls should also be wary of relationships with men who have a questionable reputation.
- If you see crows flying over the roof of your house, then according to the old beliefs the dream portends illness or death in your environment.
- When in a dream you see the ravens that steal something, you will probably experience a moment of horror in your life. You should therefore be careful in everyday situations, especially while driving a car or doing dangerous sports.
- Startling a raven suggests that you’ll manage to stop a theft, or detect a fraud.
- Once in a nightmare a raven is attacking you, then this is a reflection of negative events in your life, for example, illness, fatigue, difficulties at work, etc. But if you can defeat the bird, then everything will work out well.
- Shooting a raven suggests that you can still reverse the unfavorable course of events for you.
- A flying raven shows the bad mental state of the dreamer, breakdown, despair, and perhaps even a depression.