Food is quite a broad topic when it comes to interpretation of dreams, as the number of dishes and products that can be consumed, is huge. Therefore, please refer to the respective entries related to food, such as fruits, vegetables, meat, sweets, potatoes, dumplings and pizza. In this article, is presented the general meaning of food while in a dream, describing specific foods rather superficially.
The basic function of food is to satisfy hunger. According to the American psychologist Abraham Maslow, the founder of the hierarchy of needs (often represented as a pyramid with five levels of needs), food is at the top, next to drinking and sleep. By providing the body with essential nutrients, people can live and enjoy the various pleasures, which also include ... food. Therefore, the dream about food should be seen both as a symbol of satisfying psychological needs or ambitions and pleasures.
Keep in mind that sometimes a dream can only be the result of going to bed without supper, and reflects the true feeling of hunger. Depending on the context, the dream about food has a different explanation.
Detailed meaning of the dream:
- Good, tasty and nicely presented dishes are a harbinger of good times, especially for your wallet.
- Tasteless or bad food or food products are a reference to some disappointing and toxic situations in your life. It can also illustrate the lack of fulfillment of basic needs.
- Overeating or hunger is explained in dream books as a symbol of desires.
- A lonely feast can be a warning signal that the dreamer is loosing his friends. Perhaps for some reason the dreaming person is less and less popular in the company.
- Eating lunch or dinner with your family reflects the warmth of hearth and home, a sense of security and proper relations with the loved ones.
- A meal eaten with friends is a harbinger of success and a good reason to celebrate.
- A full table means that you’ll be invited to a lavish party or wedding reception. Seeing eating people should be interpreted in a similar way.
- A simple meal in a dream usually reflects repentance.
- Hunger means either unnecessary worries or the improvement of financial status.
- A good appetite spells the fulfillment of ambitions. On the other hand, a dream in which you are picky and do not like dishes served shows your general dissatisfaction. The dream can also mean a symptom of disease.
- If you refuse a meal in a dream, this is a reflection of your independence, a sign that you can deal with every-day life.
- Diet in a dream is usually associated with difficult times and the need for savings. Losing weight can also be a signal that you’re neglecting loved ones and friends.
- If in a dream you haven’t finish your meal and someone already took your plate from the table, it means you have problems with people dependant from you.
- If in a dream you cannot eat something, it is a dream announcing a change in life.
- Consuming unknown dishes suggest that something will concern you.
- If you dream of a burnt dish, then this is a sign that soon you'll get an unpleasant message.
- Eating in the open air is explained as a slight indisposition.
- A failure in searching for food in a dream heralds a long-term inability to meet your needs in real life.
- When you’re eating too fast in your dream, it’s a sign of good health and perfect physical condition.
- A disgusting nightmare in which you’re eating feces is a reference to the sick and perverse deviation and shows disgust for yourself.
- Gruesome visions, in which the protagonist is being eaten by monsters or other people is a reflection of excessive commitment in a toxic relationship or matter which exhausts and "consumes" the energy of the dreamer.
Dreams about eating according to the types of foods:
- Sweets, candies, cookies, chocolate, cake or wafers are symbols reflecting pleasurable sensations, a delight or reward.
- Meat is the food associated with aggression or sexual intercourse. Eating old or red meat is a warning signal of coming illness.
- Fruit have different symbolism but usually relate to fulfillment, both in the professional and emotional area.
- Eggs are a symbol associated with new life, fertility and resurrection. If the eggs are cracked or rotten, then the dream has a negative connotation.
- Fish are a reference to the feast for the soul. Eating or cooking fish may reflect human favor, happiness and prosperity. Bad fish symbolize trouble and disappointment or possible health problems.
- Oysters are known aphrodisiac, so the dream should be regarded as an erotic symbol. For pregnant women can mean happy labor. On the other hand oysters may reflect a slight conceit of the dreamer.
- Eating potatoes in a dream indicates that soon you are going to get a disease. Potato is associated with simplicity, so it can illustrate the desire to break out of the daily monotony or a longing for a more colorful life.
- Vegetables such as cucumbers, corn, carrots and asparagus in the dreams of women are considered to be symbols associated with sex.
- Chinese food may herald run of luck in finances.
- Cabbage in a dream refers to laziness and stupidity.