The symbolism of clothes in dreams is very rich, because there are at least a dozen different pieces of clothing. What's more material, color or cut are also important. In this dream book, possibly most general interpretation of the dream about clothes will be presented, whereas the exact meaning of the trousers, blouse, hat or underwear in a dream can be found in individual entries.
Worn clothes usually represent your current well-being, emotions, worries and joy. According to the saying "fine feathers make fine birds" a dream about clothes may refer to an opinion about you in society or suggest (according to the saying "clothes do not make the man") that you judge others by appearance, instead of their deeds and character.
- Clean, comfortable clothes reflect the great mood of the dreamer, fulfillment in family or professional life. The dream should therefore be treated as a very optimistic forecast for the future.
- Torn clothing signals emotional problems, lack of harmony or spells the deterioration of the financial situation. However, if you are patching up your clothes in your dream, you can count on an improvement.
- Dirty clothes mean that you cannot properly take care of yourself in real life; you are the object of mockery and malice. Sometimes the dream indicates that you do not care about the opinion of other people.
- The change of clothes represents the next stage in your life. If the clothes are beautiful and comfortable, it promises the improvement of your material situation or spiritual development. When you change clothes to torn rags, then you should prepare for a more difficult period.
- Old clothes may signal anxiety about old age or refer to outdated views, expired feelings or lack of motivation to work in the current company. However, if old clothes are still fit and comfortable, then the dream may suggest that traditional attitudes and the habits developed over the years are not so bad.
- Tight clothing is a symbol of life restrictions and constraint. A dream with a tight shirt or trousers may reflect the inability to express your views, but also uncomfortable housing conditions, or the inability to pursue your dreams.
- Incomplete outfit reflects the fear of embarrassment and exposure of your flaws and imperfections in front of the others.
- Elegant clothing indicates that you are too serious in every-day life.
- A dream about inelegant clothes suggests that you are too petty.
- An outdated outfit means you will get to your wealth with hard and persistent work. It also reflects the attachment to tradition.
- If you dream about wearing an outfit that you would never wear (because it is too brief or ridiculous), it means unexpected events in your life.
- When you are dressed inadequately to the situation, it reflects your dilemmas regarding a problem. If you are inadequately dressed at work / school, it applies to your professional matters; if among family or friends, then the dream is associated with relationships with these people.
- A dream in which you empty your wardrobe and replace your clothes with new outfits can mean new love or new friendships.
- Washing clothes means a desire to change your opinion about yourself or change old habits.
- Buying clothes is associated with major changes in your life, such as work or marital status.
- Having too many clothes in your sleep, which, for example, fall out of the wardrobe or are scattered around the room, reflects to your extravagance.
- Admiring the clothes of another person suggests you envy somebody something.
- Stealing clothes: - If the dreamer is a thief, then it reflects a lack of self-respect and faith in one's own skills. - If clothes were stolen from you, then it is a warning against false people and a reflection of the fear of lack of support from loved ones.
- Too small or poor clothing suggests that you are too modest, you have low self-esteem.
- If in a dream you wear someone else's or get used clothing, the dream signals that you will copy certain patterns and behaviors from that person.
- A dream in which you do not have any clothes on yourself is explained as a fear of criticism of others, revealing of an embarrassing secret. On the other hand it may also mean the desire to shock, greater openness, independence, or being in the spotlight.
- If you see other people who aren’t wearing clothes, it promises to be a witness of a compromising situation. If it's a friend, then the scandal is about that person. A stranger, an attractive naked man or a woman may be an image of an ideal lover. A naked person without clothes, not attracting you, warns against a moral scandal.
- If you dream about children's clothes, it is a signal that you are emotionally immature and you sometimes behave like a child.
- A man who dreams about women's clothes on himself will probably have to deal with a typically female role. The situation is adequate when a woman in a dream is wearing trousers. The vision can also suggest that someone questions your masculinity or femininity, and you bring near to the opposite sex. Sometimes it is also a dream signaling the acceptance of the male / female element in your nature.
- School clothing can refer to memories, past issues, but also suggest that you should make better use of the knowledge acquired at school or college.
- According to some dream books, a dream about a friend in new clothing heralds her departure from the world of the living.
- Clothes worn inside out reflect your nonconformist attitude, rebellion.
- A clothes hanger indicates that you should refrain from making a decision.
In the case of individual garments, one should be guided by the general interpretation of the dream about clothes - so if the skirt, underwear or shirt makes you feel good, and the clothes are in good condition (clean, comfortable, nice), then the dream is a positive sign. Damaged and dirty clothes signal trouble. Here the relation between particular clothes and spheres of life is presented.
The hat is associated with the person's psycho-spiritual sphere; it represents one’s views, intellectual abilities and ideas. If the hat is new and comfortable, then the dream means getting recognition and respect. When the headgear is old and worn, the dreamer will experience large expenses and make missed decisions. The hat can also represent an attempt to hide real feelings, or be a signal to organize your chaotic thoughts and ideas into one whole. Changing your hat means you'll get new ideas about old things.
The dream about a new cap heralds surprising changes. An old and destroyed one signals that you should initiate certain actions yourself.
The uniform in a dream suggests that you need more self-discipline in life. Seeing the uniform can also mean that you will be popular with the opposite sex and enjoy respect in society.
The blouse reflects the personality of a woman emphasizing her delicacy, sensitivity or professionalism.
- A new blouse signals positive changes.
- A dirty blouse heralds emotional complications.
- A torn blouse signals emotional or financial problems.
- A stained blouse spells problems in the emotional sphere.
- An ironed blouse announces the implementation of plans, successful settlement of matters.
- A folded blouse means perfectionism and accuracy.
The dress is a universal symbol of femininity, which is why the dream about it comes first of all to the ladies. A beautiful dress foretells happiness in love, or a successful fulfillment as a wife or mother. A torn, worn dress signals emotional problems and unpleasantness.
- Wedding dress - for a bride preparing for a wedding, a torn wedding dress reflects the fear of an unsuccessful wedding.
- Evening gown - pleasure, luxurious lifestyle.
A neat and clean shirt symbolizes harmony, success in business and emotional life in the dreamer's life. A dirty and torn one, however, signals poverty, illness or wrong path to the goal.
Trousers are a masculine symbol, therefore for a woman may mean taking over a typically male role in life or becoming too much like a man. For men, comfortable and nice pants portend prosperity, successful business, and making their dreams come true.
Underwear represents matters related to the intimate sphere. Panties in a dream are a warning against immoral behavior, while bra refers to bedroom matters.
Wearing comfortable and nice shoes reflects your success in achieving your career goals. Uncomfortable or worn shoes signal poverty, problems with adapting to the rules.
The garment, which is used to insulate or protect your hands, has a very interesting symbolism in dreams, concerning socio-cultural relations.
- Thick gloves symbolize avoiding contact with other people, social withdrawal.
- Taking off the gloves indicates aggression and hot-tempered personality.
- White gloves in a dream have two meanings - purity and innocence, or hurting someone, without consequences and responsibility.
- Protective gloves suggest that you should be more involved in professional duties.
- Garden gloves symbolize creative work, new projects.
- Women's, silk and elegant gloves refer to feminine grace and seduction. They can herald an affair or a new affection.
If a woman dreams about an apron, the dream may mean the need to pay more attention to family matters. For a man it will most probably be the symbol of submission.
Stockings or fishnet stockings are seen as a type of a net that can be both a trap and a symbol of combining several elements into a coherent whole. For women, they are usually associated with heart affairs. Beautiful, comfortable stockings symbolize a successful relationship with a partner, but torn, too tight or dirty ones indicate difficulties. In this context, new stockings can mean a new partner or signal the desire to create an intimate relationship, while black stockings mean parting.
For men, stockings have a strongly erotic dimension, emphasize women’s sex appeal and increase lust. If, however, the boy dreams that he is wearing stockings, it means he should get more masculine.
A raincoat protects against the flood of negative emotions, warns to keep common sense in a difficult moment. A king’s coat is in turn the symbol of power and domination. The coat can also symbolize the desire to hide something.
A suit seen in a dream is the symbol of financial success, career development or fame. The new suit symbolizes plans and challenges. An old, worn out suit shows the attachment to traditions and principles, memory of the past.
Fur is the symbol of wealth which was probably gained by the suffering of someone innocent.
A fan reflects the vanity of the dreamer.
Ribbons symbolize changes.
The outfit’s colour:
- White clothes represent purity, innocence, sincere intentions, and wisdom.
- A black outfit depicts grim mood, but may also reflect mourning after the death of a loved one.
- Yellow clothes - entertainment.
- Blue clothes - profits, successful businesses.
- Green clothes - success, hope, harmony.
- Purple clothes - happiness in love.
- Red clothes - passion, mood swings.
- Bright clothes - changes.
- Golden clothing - wealth.
- A sparkling outfit reflects the spiritual transformation of the dreamer.