Nobody wants to go to prison, so the dream about staying behind bars stays in the memory for a long time. If, however, you have good conscience, then of course there is nothing to worry about. It is not a prophetic nightmare. Prison is in this case the metaphor of your limitations and lack of freedom. It can refer to a workplace, toxic relationship or any other situation.
The following are possible reasons for the vision of a prison in your dream:
- Fear of punishment - for those who have committed an indecent act or broke the law, such a dream subconsciously reflects the fear of detecting the crime.
- Feeling guilty - when you feel guilty, you have a great sense of guilt about doing something, a dream about a prison cell may be a subconscious desire to punish yourself or pay for your sins.
- Lack of freedom - the imprisonment can be very painful, because it reduces your freedom to a minimum. In this case, the dream about prison reflects the inability to make independent decisions, or the feeling of suffocating in a relationship, workplace or in another situation which is a prison for the dreamer.
- Lack of control - a nightmare about prison can come in difficult moments of life, for example in the case of shock after losing a loved one, a breakup, illness or getting fired. Confusion and chaos cause lack of control, which results in the vision of a prison in a dream.
- Addiction - in certain cases, prison is the metaphor of addiction, because alcohol, drugs or gambling limit the dreamer.
Dream books also show other meaning of a dream about a prison, some of which are quite surprising.
- According to the Old Polish dream book, prison means getting a new position. The Egyptian-Chaldean dream book interprets a stay in prison as receiving a nice message.
- If in a dream you are serving a life sentence or you have a death penalty, it is a warning against disgrace or immoral behavior.
- A dream about escaping out of prison suggests that you want to get rid of restrictions, break ties that bind you, and free yourself from problems. Successful escape means that you will achieve your goal. However, if the guards prevent your intentions, then it means you will have to try again.
- A dream about leaving the prison promises a new stage in your life. You will finally be able to re-arrange your matters.
- If you are in prison for nothing, the dream suggests that people around you do not trust you.
- If a dreamer is convicted of murder, it reflects their suppressed aggression, lack of composure, and thus control over their own life.
- If the dreamer is convicted of theft, the dream heralds financial trouble.
- Seeing a prisoner means that you will get involved in some sort of scandal.
- Many dream books interpret the dream about a friend in prison as a harbinger of a good career. Sometimes, however, the dream can signal that someone needs your help.